Bariatric Surgery Requirements
Qualifying For Weight Loss Surgery
Bariatric (or weight loss) surgery can be an effective treatment for maintaining healthy weight, but it’s not right for everyone. If you’re interested in weight loss surgery, consider the bariatric surgery requirements listed here.
You may qualify for weight loss surgery if you ...
- Weigh 100 pounds more than the standard for height and sex as estimated by the Metropolitan Life Table or have a body mass index (BMI) equal to or greater than 40 or BMI of 35 with comorbidities such as diabetes, sleep apnea, GERD or hypertension.
- Have a medical condition that may improve with weight loss, such as diabetes, heart problems, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, or sleep apnea.
- Have supportive family and friends who will help achieve a healthy weight goal.
- Are well-informed about the surgery and lifestyle changes for recovery.
- Understand and accept the risks of weight loss surgery.
- Are committed to a healthy lifestyle that includes a regular exercise program for the rest of your life.
- Agree to be part of long-term follow up.
You’re not eligible for weight loss surgery if you ...
- Are an alcoholic or have other chemical abuse issues.
- Have active liver disease, such as hepatitis.
- Have an untreated psychiatric condition as determined by a licensed psychologist or psychiatrist.
- Have a correctable cause of obesity, such as thyroid disease.
- Are unable to comply with instructions and program guidelines.
- Have an unstable eating pattern related to medications.
- Have uncontrolled binge eating disorder (BED) or other untreated eating disorder.
Source: American Society for Metabolic & Bariatric Surgery
Reviewed By: Suburban Metabolic Institute 11/9/2012
Most insurances accepted.
Register for a Seminar
Click here to register for an Informational Seminar
All seminars take place at the Center for Wellness & Weight Management from 6-7pm.
If you believe you fit these weight-loss surgery requirements, call (888) 622-6325 to register for an informational seminar at the Center for Wellness & Weight Management to learn more about bariatric surgery at MacNeal Hospital.
To speak with our Bariatrics Coordinator, please call Ania Dziadkowiec at (708) 484-0621, ext. 227
The Center for Wellness & Weight Management is located on the first floor of the main hospital near Giammanco entrance off Euclid Avenue.