We invite you to explore the uplifting and inspiring content that captures the professional practice of nursing at Vanguard MacNeal Hospital. These nursing pages highlight the exciting activities and important events that affect nursing at MacNeal. Using key categories, we have organized the content so it is easy to navigate. Categories include ANCC Magnet Recognition®, transformational leadership, structural empowerment, exemplary professional practice and new knowledge, innovations and improvement.
The nurses of Vanguard MacNeal Hospital believe that as professional nurses we will optimize the health and wellbeing of our patients and their families by providing quality, compassionate care. We will collaborate in the care of the body, mind and spirit, provide a healing environment, and commit to clinical excellence. We do this by living our values of Safety, Excellence, Respect, Accountability Integrity and innovation. We are proud of the care nurses provide every day and in every care setting which demonstrates our commitment to these values and our mission.
History of Nursing Excellence
Watch the History of Nursing video that traces the legacy and greatness of Vanguard MacNeal Hospital's award winning nurses.
Click here to watch the History of Vanguard MacNeal nurses video!
Who Are Vanguard MacNeal Hospital Nurses?
Learn more about the award winning nurses at Vanguard MacNeal Hospital.
Click here to watch a video about Vanguard MacNeal nurses!
Our Nursing Mission
As Professional Nurses we will optimize the health and well being of our patients and their families by providing quality, compassionate care. We will collaborate in the care of their body, mind, and spirit, provide a healing environment, and commit to clinical excellence.
To create life-long relationships by changing the way health and health care are delivered in our communities.
Our Professional Practice Model
The Vanguard MacNeal Professional Practice model is organized into four conceptual areas that are felt to be the most essential in a professional practice environment by Vanguard MacNeal Hospital nurses. The four components have at its center the patient which illustrates our commitment to patient-centered care. The model is grounded in Watson's theory of human caring, our mission, vision and principles. The four conceptual areas point towards outcomes which are measured to evaluate our work. Vanguard MacNeal Nurses define each of the Professional Practice components below:
- Leadership - Vanguard MacNeal nurse leaders transform practice and are prepared to meet challenges. They are highly interactive and their relationships are based on trust. Collaboratively, the leaders and the staff share a unified purpose to provide patient-centered care.
- Clinical practice - Vanguard MacNeal nurses have responsibility, authority and accountability for planning, organizing and evaluating care throughout the patient episode. Their approach to care is interdisciplinary with a significant amount of patient participation.
- Professional development - Vanguard MacNeal nurses have a strong commitment to the profession and the organization. The limitless growth potential of every employee is valued and supported.
- Interdisciplinary collaboration - Vanguard MacNeal nurses work collaboratively, with a respect for the collective wisdom and mutual effort of all professional disciplines.
The model is seen here balanced upon the theoretical framework of Dr. Jean Watson's theory of human caring.
Principles of the Vanguard Professional Practice Model
Vanguard nurses will:
- Be nationally known and trusted for exemplary nursing practice.
- Practice as defined by the American Nurses' Association's foundational documents and in accordance with state and federal regulations.
- Combine the best of science and caring to provide exceptional patient/family centered care, with an emphasis on interdisciplinary teamwork and integration.
- Foster nursing practice that is evidence based, innovative, and collaborative.
- Sustain a professional practice environment where nurses have meaningful input into policy development related to clinical quality, safety, and outcomes evaluation.
- Be major contributors and advocates of safe, quality care.
- Practice in environments where appropriate equipment, supplies and technology are available to optimize the delivery of quality care and where resource requirements are quantified and monitored to ensure appropriate resource allocation.
Watson Theory of Human Caring
Vanguard MacNeal Hospital Nursing's Model of Care is based on Jean Watson's Theory of Human Caring.
The Theory of Human Caring influences everything we do at Vanguard MacNeal Hospital - our practice, our education and our research. It is our foundation that combines both the art and science of nursing. Vanguard MacNeal Hospital Nurses are committed to having authentic connections and caring/healing relationships with ourselves and others. This is the foundation of our professional practice and keeps us energized and enthusiastic about the practice of nursing.
Dr. Jean Watson's Human Caring Theory:
Ten Caritas Processes
- Embrace altruistic values and practice loving kindness with self and others.
- Instill faith and hope and honor others.
- Be sensitive to self and others by nurturing individual beliefs and practices.
- Develop helping - trusting - caring relationships.
- Promote and accept positive and negative feelings as you authentically listen to another person's story.
- Use creative scientific problem-solving methods for caring decision making.
- Share teaching and learning that addresses the individual needs and comprehension styles.
- Create a healing environment for the physical and spiritual self which respects human dignity.
- Assist with basic physical, emotional and spiritual human needs.
- Open to mystery and allow miracles to enter.